Wednesday 27 July 2016

... garden cushion

Hello again everyone,

It is a feast or a famine with me, is it not?  :) Two posts in one day!

I am back with another post today to show you a project I did to make my life in the garden a little easier.

First of all, we need to talk about weeding styles.

Some people stand, bent over from the waist and do their weeding.

Others prefer the crouch method where you sort of squat down with your bottom almost touching your heels.

And still others prefer to kneel or sit on the ground.

I am in the last category. Especially if I have a large area to deal with. If I am just wandering through the beds to see how things are going and what is getting ready to harvest I will certainly bend down to grab a weed if I see one.
Otherwise, I am right down kneeling on the ground.

There is one small problem with that. Actually not that small... my pathways are all pea stone. Pea stone is not at all comfortable to kneel upon. In fact it is downright painful.

I began to look around in the gardening catalogs at the various fancy devices that they have to solve this problem. The one main thing that they all had in common was the price. Don't get me wrong... my comfort when I am out there for several hours working is important to me.... however a hefty price tag for that comfort is not.

I got to thinking that I could come up with something to solve the problem. 

And I did.

I purchased a pillow form from a fabric store. Nice big one... 20" square.


 Then I bought a small piece of plastic tablecloth material from our local hardware store. 


Total cost of both was $11.00

I merely covered the pillow with the plastic fabric and presto....  It was a bit of work wrestling that cushion in the sewing machine but where there is a will, there is a way.


I now have a nice, large and I may say very comfortable cushion to kneel or sit upon while I am working.

If I should happen to leave it out there and it rains, no matter, it is plastic. I double stitched all around it so hopefully that should keep out any water.

That is it for me for today... promise. :)  Need to go and deal with the garlic harvest. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.  Cheers.

 ~ Melanie ~


No comments:

Post a Comment